Who’s ready to warm up over a bowl of wild rice soup? This cozy vegan Autumn wild rice soup is made with fresh seasonal vegetables like sweet potatoes, mushrooms, kale, carrots… , hearty wild rice and a deliciously savory, creamy broth. Thanks to rice, carrots, coconut milk and mushrooms, this wild rice and mushroom soup is a filling vegan main course that really fills you up. We often pair it with a large piece of crusty baked bread for dinner.
Ingredients for the Wild Rice Soup recipe
- Wild Rice: I love its nutty flavor with the hearty broth and hearty fall veggies. Please use real wild rice* . Yes it’s expensive, hard to find and usually we try to find and name alternatives to these pricey products, but in this case it’s not the same.
- Fall Vegetables : The veggies are a seasonal mix of sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, and wintery kale (for a wonderfully fresh pop of color). What I could also imagine are king oyster mushrooms, forest mushrooms, shiitake, white beans, spinach and spring onions.
- Coconut milk: For the vegan version we do without cream (which vegetarians are welcome to use) and replace it with creamy coconut milk. Oat or almond milks are also good for creating the soup’s delicious creamy texture.
- Cajun Seasoning: Don’t have the Cajun seasoning mix* on hand. May miso paste* and Dijon mustard* create a truly extraordinary opportunity for savory umami flavor.
- Fresh Rosemary and Thyme: Their cozy flavors make this wild rice soup perfect for fall.
- Lemon Juice: To brighten things up.
- Salt and Pepper: Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to bring out all the flavors.
So, if you ever have that day when you just want to curl up on the couch in your coziest sweater, make yourself this creamy wild rice soup. If you ask me, it’s one of the best kinds of creamy, fluffy, and nutritious home cooking. Colorful fall vegetables like sweet potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms sprinkle the delicious bowl. This is accompanied by nutty wild rice and fresh kale. This way everything becomes nice and hearty. And for this creamy broth I suggest you the healthy coconut milk. Not traditional, but you’ll want a second bowl.
If you like our autumn stew with wild rice and mushrooms, then these dishes might also inspire you:
- Sweet Potato Pumpkin Curry
- Fennel gratin with wild rice vegan
- Coriander mushrooms in a polenta bowl
- oriental roasted carrots on lentil salad
- vegan hasselback squash
- baked sweet potatoes with beet feto topping
Fancy something soothing but healthy? Let’s cook this creamy wild rice soup with fall veggies and herbs and fall in love with the rich, hearty flavor.
vegan autumn wild rice soup
- 100 G wild rice*
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 rods celery
- 200 G mushrooms or king oyster mushrooms, shiitake…
- 1 sweet potato or white beans
- 2 carrots
- 100 G Kale
- 1 can coconut milk* about 400g
- 750 ml vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. native olive oil*
- 3-4 branches thyme
- 1 branch rosemary
- 1½ tbsp. Cajun seasoning*
- 1 splash lemon juice
- Pepper* from the mill
- spring onions
- Chopped nuts
- Cook wild rice according to package directions until al dente. Put aside.
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic.
- De-thread and dice the celery.
- Peel carrots and cut into slices or cubes.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut into quarters or slices.
- Peel the sweet potato and also cut into cubes.
- Wash and coarsely chop the kale.
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, sweet potato, herbs, and Cajun seasoning. Sweat while stirring.
- Pour in the broth until the vegetables are just covered. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk, rice, and kale to the soup and stir gently until combined.
- Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Season with more Cajun if needed.
- Serve warm and enjoy!