Baked sweet potatoes with beet feto Topping – the classic fall and winter vegetable, along with fried feto cubes on smashed oven-baked sweet potatoes… vegan & yummy. Oven-baked sweet potatoes are lightly crunchy on the outside and buttery soft and sweet on the inside. One of the best ways to eat a sweet potato!
Sweet potatoes have such a different texture than regular potatoes
Typically, sweet potatoes are oven roasted either in cubes or split in half. However, if you crush them, you reach a whole other level.
I have two different methods to try here
#1 Bake the sweet potatoes in the oven until tender, then mash them with a fork, on the same baking sheet, and then roast until nice and crispy. Or…
#2 Boil the sweet potatoes first, drain well, cut into 2-3cm slices, then place on a baking sheet and mash to bake.
In both cases you can’t go wrong. Personally, I prefer the first cooking method because the potatoes almost caramelize their natural sweetness as they bake. I also find it easier to mash using a fork rather than a potato masher as sometimes described. With a potato masher, you have no control over what you do and will only destroy when you mash 😎.
After mashing, melted garlic butter or in our vegan case, garlic oil is poured on top. Then bake or grill another 10 to 15 minutes and you could already be mentally preparing for the best sweet potatoes. Man, you could already consider them ready and eating, but since we’re making a meal out of it and not a side dish, let’s take care of the topping for a moment.
What is Feto?
“Feto” is a term for tofu that has been fermented with vegan yoghurt bacteria. It tastes finely sour and the use of herbs makes it reminiscent of a spicy feta cheese. That’s what the name is supposed to indicate – vegan feta cheese, because you can crumble, slice and fry. Vegan, lactose-free, nut-free and easy to work with. Personally, I don’t like “Feto” right out of the pack, but when it’s fried in cubes until crispy, it tastes delicious. (But that is just my personal opinion)
if you like our baked sweet potatoes with beet feto topping, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Tender miso onions from the oven
- Cauliflower steaks from the oven
- Sweet potato salad with hummus and rocket
- Fall salad with quinoa and seasonal vegetables
- Jackfruit Curry with Sweet Potatoes
- Fancy more baked vegetables from the oven?
baked sweet potatoes with beet feto topping
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, dice the beetroot.
- Also cut feto into small cubes. Fry in a hot pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Rinse the spring onions. Cut into fine rings.
- Mix the beetroot cubes with spring onions, feto and a tablespoon of olive oil. Season to taste with maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Peel and finely chop or grate the garlic. Mix with olive oil.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, cut the skin lengthways, unfold and flatten the potatoes with a fork.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the garlic oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast again for 10 minutes on the top shelf of the oven.
- Serve the cooked potatoes topped with plucked thyme leaves and beet feto salad.