Grilled or Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cherry Salsa are vegan, gluten-free, and quick and easy to make. This delicious oven or grilled vegetable is a deliciously healthy and vegan alternative or addition to your grill menu with its sweet and savory salsa made from fresh cherries and corn. Also a perfect snack or just a quick dinner for the whole family.
The combination of fresh sweet cherries and corn in a salsa is a perfect topping for the caramelized sweet potatoes. While I don’t like regular fries, oven roasted potatoes are a weakness.
The ingredients for the Sweet Potatoes with Cherry Corn Salsa
The ingredients for this vegan dish are pretty simple. Arguably the most exciting ingredient is the cherries to create a truly flavorful salsa.
- Sweet potatoes: If you want to prepare the potato wedges on the grill, it is important to steam or bake them beforehand. They must already be slightly pre-cooked before putting them on the grill. This way they’ll be tender without becoming overly charred.
- Cherries: Fresh sweet cherries are responsible for the sweetness in the salsa. Get the best and strongest you can get. If the sweetness of the cherries isn’t enough for you, you can add a teaspoon or two of maple syrup to the salsa.
- Fresh Coriander: Fresh herbs add a lot of flavor and freshness to the salsa. For this reason, please do not use dried herbs.
- Corn: The corn can be canned, it’s the quickest and easy to handle. However, if you want to add an extra flavor boost to your salsa, grilled corn is for you. The slightly smoky flavor is delicious. Use whole corn cobs for this. Drizzle the corn with vegetable oil (alternatively with olive oil), then season with some chilli powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Place the corn on a parchment-lined baking sheet and grill, turning occasionally, until colored and cooked (about 10-20 minutes). Let the corn cool, then cut it lengthwise off the cob and add it to the salsa.
- Red Onion: Red onions have a mild flavor and a very vibrant color, so perfect for our recipe.
- Jalapeño: You can use these fresh or pickled from the jar. Check the sharpness before using it. We always have children eating, so we prefer to serve the spicy things separately, so that everyone can season their own food.
if you like our vegan baked sweet potatoes, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Concertina potatoes with pesto dip
- Oven-baked sweet potatoes with beetroot feto topping
- Crispy Hasselback Potatoes with Pecorino
- plain Bombay potatoes
- Canary Potatoes with Salsa and Chimichurri
- Masala baked potatoes on yoghurt with tamarind
Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cherry Corn Salsa.
for the sweet potatoes:
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp Cumin*
- kosher salt*
- Black pepper* from the mill
for the cherry corn salsa:
- 300 G cherries fresh sweet cherries
- 200 G Corn can
- 1 pointed peppers red or yellow
- 3 spring onions
- 1 Red onion
- 1 small Bunch of coriander
- 1½ tbsp. lime juice
- jalapeño to taste
- kosher salt*
in the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash sweet potatoes well or peel (as you like). Cut into even columns.
- In a bowl, mix the potato wedges with the vegetable oil, cumin and some salt.
- Spread the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for about 20 minutes. For the last 5 minutes, slide the tray onto the top rack so that the edges of the potatoes roast well and caramelize.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salsa as detailed below.
on the grill:
- If you want to prepare the sweet potatoes on the grill, you have to steam the potatoes a little beforehand.
- To do this, fill a large saucepan with water. About 2 cm high.
- Insert a steamer basket and when the water is boiling place the sweet potato wedges in there and steam, covering, for about 10 minutes.
- Then let the potatoes cool down a bit, mix them in a bowl with the vegetable oil, cumin and some salt.
- Heat up your grill and grill the potato wedges for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
Prepare the cherry salsa:
- You should only prepare or mix the salsa just before serving. Then the colors and texture of the ingredients are preserved.
- Pit the cherries and chop roughly.
- Wash the spring onions, drain well and cut into fine rings.
- Peel red onion, halve, quarter and cut into fine strips.
- Wash the peppers, deseed, remove the white membranes and dice.
- Rinse the cilantro, shake dry and chop.
- The amount of jalapeño depends on how hot it is and your taste.
- Mix all ingredients with lime juice and season with a pinch of salt.
Arranging and serving:
- Serve the sweet potato wedges on plates or a platter.
- Top or serve with some salsa.