Basil Squash via Coconut Quinoa – How to make quinoa great: Coconut, lots of fresh basil, and baked winter squash. The nourishing bowl calms your body and mind. Soft roasted pumpkin soaked in coconut milk and oil means sheer silky comfort. Coconut milk and the freshness of basil create a perfect combination of lightness and satisfaction. Simple yet vibrant ingredients with active flavors are the surprise and rare blend of favorite foods in this indulgent bowl. Bright orange Hokkaido or butternut squash is the attraction in this recipe, yet very satisfying. This is joined by Red Quinoa, adding another pop of color to your plate that will leave you feeling strong and stable. This dish will fill you up while eating without causing fatigue.
If you’ve ever collected fresh basil from a garden, you know the aroma that awakens your nostrils and uplifts your senses in the process. Then, when you start slicing and chopping the leaves, the familiar scent will fill your kitchen. Notice how your posture is relaxed and lifted at the same time. But that’s not all, because the basil flavor also stimulates the enzymes in the stomach, preparing your body for optimal digestion.
Red peppers and chillies add a little warmth and kickstart your digestive fire for comfortable, gas-free digestion. When you feel a light sweat on your forehead, you know the fire has been lit. With this healthy, lively bowl, you can experiment with the spiciness and if you reduce the amount of red pepper flakes and basil, children can enjoy this meal too.
if you like our basil squash over coconut quinoa, you might also love these recipes:
- Ayurvedic ginger basil lemonade
- spicy beetroot and carrot curry
- Fall salad with quinoa and seasonal vegetables
- Ayurvedic pickle curry
- Falafel bowl with orange and herb couscous
- more salad recipes…
This Coconut Quinoa makes a great holiday or vegan main course with fluffy quinoa, large flakes of coconut, toasted pumpkin seeds and roasted pumpkin. This Ayurvedic dish is served at room temperature and is quite soothing for Pitta types in the summer.
Basil squash over coconut quinoa
- 1 pumpkin Hokkaido or Butternut (shelled)
- 600 ml coconut milk*
- 1 tbsp. curry leaves*
- 2 tsp. coconut oil*
- 200 G red quinoa*
- 1 Red onions
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes*
- kosher salt*
- 1 small Bunch of basil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash the pumpkin, cut in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon. If you’re using a butternut squash, be sure to peel it first. Dice the pumpkin and set aside.
- Peel and dice red onion.
- Melt the coconut (if it’s not liquid) in a small pan on the stove. In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin, onion, melted coconut oil, red pepper flakes and 200ml coconut milk. Salt.
- Place the seasoned squash in a casserole dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until the squash are tender.
- Meanwhile, bring the quinoa to a boil in a saucepan with the remaining coconut milk. Add 2 whole curry leaves. Reduce the heat and cook, covered, until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Salt.
- Serve the squash in a bowl over a good portion of the coconut quinoa. Garnish with freshly plucked basil leaves.