January is almost over and the first tulips are actually already on sale. I’m someone who can’t wait for summer to come again. In the course of the first few weeks of this year, have you also forgotten your ambitious good intentions for the new year? In my opinion, therefore, it should be less about good intentions in January and more about long-term, holistic dietary changes. Here is a delicious vegan and healthy recipe to make the long-term change in diet a little easier. Beetroot bowl on spelt and chickpeas is a vegan salad bowl made from winter vegetables, served on a bed of spelled and chickpeas with a pepper and almond dressing.
Simple, affordable and delicious recipes
By the way, the following recipe is the best proof that healthy food is neither boring, expensive nor complicated to cook. The salad is vegan and consists of four main ingredients: beetroot, parsnips, chickpeas and spelt. You can get all of these ingredients at any supermarket. There’s also a light dressing made with extra virgin olive oil, vinegar and almonds, sea salt and pepper. Flavor-wise, the salad is surprising despite its short list of ingredients, which is down to the baked veggies and delicious almond-pepper dressing. An unusual combination with a big wow effect. If you like, you can also serve the quick radish pickles for the topping like I did. For me there is nothing better than serving everything with fresh watercress.
You can buy pre-cooked beets if you don’t want to cook them yourself. Just look for them in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store. There are many different types of beets, including beetroot, yellow beet, and ringlet. So far I’ve only seen the red one cooked. You should also use organic quality, which in my experience has the nicer red color.
But you can also easily cook beetroot yourself at home. The easiest way to cook beets is by using the pressure cooker. You don’t have to scrub or cut off the ends. My favorite method though is baking in the oven. Roasted beets are a versatile and healthy ingredient. The baked beets are naturally sweet and have a great, silky texture. I think you’re going to really love this easy to make beet bowl recipe.
If you like our Bete Bowl on spelled and chickpeas, you may also be enthusiastic about these recipes:
- Spelled barley salad with vegetables
- Tabbouleh of spelled and burrata
- Fall salad with quinoa and seasonal vegetables
- vegan spelled burger buns
- Orange and herb couscous with homemade falafel
- more salad recipes…
Beetroot bowl on spelt and chickpeas
- 2 Beetroot big tubers
- 2 tbsp. native olive oil*
- 300 G Chickpeas* cooked, can
- 1 tsp turmeric powder*
- 50 G Spelt* Faro
- 2-3 parsnip or parsley root
- 1 spring onion
- 1 Bed cress fresh
- Radish Pickles >> <=recipe link
- Lettuce of your choice
Almond Pepper Dressing:
- 6 tbsp. native olive oil*
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard*
- 2 tbsp. agave syrup*
- 5 almonds*
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Sea-salt* rough
- 1 tbsp. Black pepper* coarsely ground
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Wash the beetroot and remove any soil residue. If necessary, use a brush. Pat dry and rub with half a tablespoon of olive oil and half a tablespoon of sea salt. Wrap each bulb in a piece of aluminum foil and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Peel the parsnips, halve lengthways and then quarters. Mix with half a tablespoon of olive oil, lightly salt and put in the oven 20 minutes before the end of the baking time (the beetroot).
- Mix chickpeas with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, turmeric and some salt. Place in the oven 20 minutes before the end of the baking time and lightly toast.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the spelled over a low heat for about 20 minutes until soft. Drain and set aside.
- In a blender, blend olive oil, agave syrup, wine vinegar, almonds, garlic clove, and mustard to form a dressing. Season to taste with coarse pepper and salt. If the dressing is too thick, you can dilute it with a little lukewarm water.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven, peel off the skin and cut into slices or wedges.
- Wash the lettuce, spin dry and arrange on deep plates or a platter. Spread the beets, spelled and chickpeas on the lettuce and garnish with fresh cress, parsnips and spring onions cut into fine rings.
- Dressing is enough.