First off, we love broccoli. And having traveled extensively in Asia, we became obsessed with the tender leaves and smoky, sweet taste. We want more broccoli in our health and vegan diets. Our core problem was that it’s not that easy to make such a slippery sauce with broccoli. But with a little ingenuity and my truly awesome Asian wife, the broccoli garlic sauce chef, broccoli with Asian garlic sauce becomes an amazing and healthy topic.
Many people think that broccoli either stinks or doesn’t taste decent. I assure you it is not. Broccoli is a popular superfood, but for the most part, most people tend to eat it as an accompaniment to other dishes. However, various studies have shown that it is likely that broccoli can lower your cholesterol levels and reduce your risk of cancer – as well as a protection against heart disease.
Broccoli is a type of cabbage that looks like collard greens but is not cabbage. While broccoli is also known in Germany, the original species originated in China. For this reason, broccoli is part of many Asian dishes. I grew up in Shanghai where I grew up eating broccoli from a young age. I still remember my mother growing it in our garden field in Beijing. She knew I loved broccoli as a kid and she knew broccoli would be good for my family.
Broccoli is very healthy: Broccoli has more iron than a steak, more protein than a cup of nuts, and more potassium than a dozen potatoes. And the good news is, broccoli can be delicious too!
The following recipe idea is easy, inexpensive, and a great way to taste the benefits of broccoli and garlic sauce.
if you like our broccoli with Asian garlic sauce, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- vegan almond broccoli from the oven
- vegan kung pao with broccoli
- Broccoli Chickpea Pesto Bowl
- Cauliflower Kale Salad with Turmeric Dressing
- Soba noodle bowl with Asian flavors
- vegan soba noodle salad with peanut dressing
So would you like to serve broccoli with Asian garlic sauce? Here we go …
Broccoli with Asian Garlic Sauce
- 1 broccoli large or 2 small
- 2 tbsp. Sesame oil* roasted
- sesame black/white* roasted
- chili flakes*
- small Bunch of coriander optional
For the sauce:
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. Soy sauce* or Tamari
- 1 tbsp. food starch cornstarch or arrowroot
Prepare Garlic Sauce:
- To do this, peel and chop the garlic. Then mix in a small bowl with all of the other sauce ingredients. Best beaten with a whisk.
- Wash the broccoli, drain well and cut into bite-sized florets and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the prepared broccoli in the pan for about 4 minutes. Stir frequently so that nothing can burn.
- Reduce heat to something. Then add the garlic sauce to the pan, stirring well to coat the broccoli.
- Let simmer for about 3 minutes or until broccoli is tender enough. The sauce should thicken and soak into the broccoli.
- Served on rice with fresh coriander, roasted sesame and chilli flakes – a treat!