This vegan creamy pumpkin pasta recipe is a healthy, comforting weeknight dinner. Using real roasted squash, oven-baked peppers and tomatoes, herbs like thyme or sage, parmesan (or vegan alternative), pepitas (or walnuts), and your choice of pasta, this vegan or vegetarian dinner recipe is quick and easy to make. Get this dish on the table in less than 45 minutes.
This recipe is great for days when you’re short on time. It is easy to prepare or pre-cook. With a creamy texture and the delicious flavors of pumpkin, smoked paprika and herbs, this is the ultimate in healthy comfort food. It’s hearty, wholesome and easy to vary to suit your personal taste. My family absolutely loves this pumpkin pasta recipe and I know you will too!
The best type of pasta for pumpkin noodles
Pastas like fusilli, rigatoni, penne, or their longtime relatives like fettuccine, spaghetti, or tagliatelle are all great options for pumpkin pasta. Personally, I love using short, whole-wheat pasta that can hold a lot of sauce for hot weeknight dinners. However, any type of pasta should work well in this recipe.
What other topping ideas are there?
Make this recipe your own favorite with other combinations and topping options! Here are a few ideas:
- creamy burrata
- freshly plucked mozzarella
- crispy baked chickpeas
- hemp seed or flaxseed
- chopped and toasted cashews or walnuts
- Herbs like parsley, coriander, cress…
if you like our Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Vegan Hasselback Pumpkin
- Italian pasta idea with porcini mushrooms
- vegan sweet potato pumpkin chili
- Pasta e ceci – pasta with chickpeas
- Orecchiette pasta with pepper and cheese sauce
- more pasta ideas…
Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
- pumpkin seeds* roasted
- vegan Parmesan* or nutritional yeast
- Herbs such as parsley, cress, chervil…
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Halve the pumpkin, scrape out the seeds with a spoon and roughly chop.
- Halve the peppers, deseed and remove the white membranes.
- peel garlic.
- Place all the prepared vegetables on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes. (or until the squash is tender)
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to package directions.
- Puree all the vegetables (with liquid) from the oven in a blender to a fine sauce.
- Season the sauce with the spices and herbs.
- Bring the pumpkin sauce to the boil again in a saucepan and mix in the cooked pasta.
- Serve sprinkled with fresh herbs and/or roasted pumpkin seeds.