Yummy Moroccan Black Lentil Salad – A distant cousin of tabbouleh, this lentil salad is a healthy vegan option loaded with protein-packed lentils and amazing spices. Chilled for dinner parties, to-go for work, office or as a complete light lunch together with pita and/or hummus…
I start with a bowl of Moroccan-spiced carrots and lentils. While it feels very autumnal, this is a year-round dish… and an excellent side for an al fresco feast. It’s savory and sweet with hints of acidity from the citrus dressing. I’ve eaten a lot of this on its own, but it certainly feels like the perfect pairing for a platter of grilled chicken or fish.
This Moroccan lentil salad is a useful way to use celery and dried apricots. Crunchy pieces of celery are combined with lentils, red onions, mint, apricots and slivers of almonds. Then it’s all tossed in a dressing flavored with maple syrup, cinnamon, clove, and cumin. All in all, this salad makes a satisfying dinner or lunch with a side of Middle Eastern bread and homemade hummus . It would also make a great side salad to serve for dinner alongside baked or fried tofu or tempeh, scrambled eggs, or even fancy avocado toast.
if you like our Moroccan Black Lentil Salad, you might also be interested in these recipes:
- vegan TexMex salad with chipolte dressing
- Best drink with lemons, oranges and lime
- oriental fried oatmeal
- quick radish pickles
- Make falafel yourself
- more salad recipes
Delicious Moroccan black lentil salad – vegan
- 1 Red onion
- 400 G beluga lentils* brown lentils, green lentils
- 4 rods celery
- 150 G dried apricots*
- 100 G almonds* pencils
- 1 small Bunch of coriander and/or parsley
- 1 small bunch of mint
- 1 grated zest of 1 organic orange + juice
- 2-3 tbsp. maple syrup*
- 40 ml native olive oil*
- 40 ml red wine vinegar* or sherry vinegar, apple cider vinegar
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin*
- ½ tsp Cinammon*
- ⅛ tsp cloves* ground
- ½ tsp kosher salt* more to taste
- ½ tsp Pepper*
- chili flakes* optional to taste
- Peel and finely dice the onion.
- Cook lentils according to package directions until al dente.
- Clean the celeriac, wash, de-thread and cut into small pieces.
- Cut the apricots into thin slices.
- Roast the almonds (chop if you use whole almonds) in a hot pan without adding fat until golden brown.
- Wash off the orange with hot water. Grate the peel and squeeze out the juice.
- Rinse herbs, shake dry and chop.
- In a bowl, mix the lentils, celery, apricots, roasted almonds, onions, herbs and orange zest with the orange juice.
Prepare Moroccan Dressing:
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, add to the salad and mix gently.
- Season with salt. Chili flakes (optional) to taste and more if you like.