Our easy homemade pop tarts, with cheese cream and strawberries. So if you can buy shortcrust pastry at the grocery store, you can make homemade pop tarts. You can fill them with jam, jelly, peanut butter, Nutella, or apple slices.
I’ve never had a pop tart before. I realize this may provoke a shocked reaction in some people, but again I can’t believe I’ve waited so long for this. So we make super easy, strawberry and cream cheese pop tarts that are made with chilled shortcrust pastry and then topped with a drizzle of egg and cane sugar. The perfect combination of a German treat for an American classic.
To make life easier and get those yummy bites in my tummy quickly, I use chilled shortcrust pastry for sweets. Your favorite homemade shortcrust pastry recipe will work just as well, but let me tell you, these easy homemade pop tarts were so easy to make and turned out so damn delicious.
The filling is the real star of this recipe. Plus that egg sugar mix? Come on! How much better can this get, maybe just topped with a sweet condensed milk glaze, but for another time. fck! You can simply dip the entire homemade pop tarts in the condensed milk or even pour some over them instead of brushing them – you are the master of your own destiny. Try these and let me know how it turned out. But I know your kids will love them! 😉
How to make strawberry cheese pop tarts
Make the rectangles for the pop tarts. Roll out the shortcrust pastry. Using a ruler and ravioli wheel* , create rectangles of shortcrust pastry. Cut out hearts from half of the rectangles.
Spread the strawberry and cream cheese cream. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the prepared cream cheese and 1 teaspoon of the strawberry jam on each rectangle without a heart cut out. All without smearing anything on the edges.
Seal the homemade pop tarts. Line the coated rectangles with the remaining rectangles and seal by pressing all sides together with a fork. Brush each rectangle with the egg wash and top the egg with brown cane sugar. Finally, place a strawberry heart in each punched-out heart.
Bake the pop tarts. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool before serving and enjoy while still warm!
if you like our American pastries, you may also be interested in these recipes:
- homemade blueberry lemonade
- Necktarine tomato chutney
- Make falafel yourself
- white chocolate cheesecake
Easy Homemade Pop Tarts
- 2 shortcrust sweet, from the refrigerated section
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- 100 G cream cheese
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract*
- 100 G Strawberry jam
- 6 strawberries fresh
- cane sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Whisk an egg yolk with a teaspoon of water.
- Mix cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Divide the two sheets of shortcrust pastry into 10 to 12 equal rectangles.
- Place half of the rectangles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Now distribute a heaping teaspoon of cream cheese and a teaspoon of strawberry jam in the middle. Leave the edge free.
- Before you place the other rectangles on the filling, cut out a heart from the middle.
- Now place the rectangles on the filling and seal the edges with a fork.
- Brush the pop tarts with the egg mixture. Then sprinkle cane sugar on top.
- Slice the strawberries and use the same cutter or a knife to shape them into hearts. Place the strawberry hearts in the prepared wells.
- Bake the pop tarts for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack and enjoy while still warm!