A Swabian classic with a Greek touch: vegetarian Maultaschen salad served with fruity tomatoes and creamy avocado on crispy fresh leaf lettuce. Served with fresh herbs, roasted pine nuts and a matching honey-mustard dressing. The fried Maultaschen on salad is the perfect mix of fresh and hearty!
For me, Maultaschen are a rustic dish, especially compared to their Italian ravioli brothers. The Swabians enjoy their Maultaschen either in chicken broth or fried in butter with lots of roasted onions or maybe some sauerkraut as a side dish. We made Maultaschen at a friend’s house last month and rustic or not, they were absolutely delicious. Since we made so many we had enough left over for everyone to take home. We froze them for a week to have dinner over time.
What do you do with leftover Maultaschen? Very simple, we fry them in a pan until crispy and serve them on a wonderfully fresh and crunchy salad. Delicious and doesn’t feel like eating boring leftovers. 😉 We had vegetarian dumplings, but feel free to choose vegan or meat-filled versions.
More Fresh Salad Recipes You May Love:
- Falafel recipe for home
- Eggplant basil filled ravioli with walnut pesto
- Pasta with truffle filling on burrata cream
- Quinoa barley salad with dates vegan
- vegan mediterranean chickpea salad
- vegan TexMex pasta salad
Fried dumplings on salad
for the salad:
- 8 pc vegan Maultaschen* or your choice
- 2 tbsp. native olive oil*
- 200 G cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- lettuce Arugula, lamb’s lettuce, iceberg lettuce, radicchio, …
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts*
- Herbs such as parsley, cress, basil, chervil…
- 1-2 spring onions
for the honey mustard dressing:
- 5 tbsp. native olive oil*
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard*
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup* or honey
- 1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar*
- kosher salt*
- small bunch of chives
- Roast the pine nuts in a pan without adding fat until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Halve the avocado. trigger core. Peel and dice.
- Wash the lettuce, spin dry and tear apart.
- Wash the spring onions and cut into fine rings.
- Rinse the herbs, shake dry and pluck from the stems.
Honey mustard dressing:
- Wash the chives, shake dry and cut into fine rolls.
- Mix mustard, honey and balsamic vinegar. Whisk in olive oil drop by drop. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the chives.
Arranging and serving:
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Fry the Maultaschen in it, turning, for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Arrange salads on plates or a platter.
- Scatter tomatoes and avocado cubes on top.
- Spread dressing over the salad.
- Divide the Maultaschen once and arrange on the salt.
- Scatter over the spring onions, herbs and pine nuts.
- Enjoy your meal!