The stew is one of the most popular dishes in Germany. It is easy to cook and tastes very good. It is also very nutritious and can therefore fill you up well. In this blog post we will delve into the stew and find out what exactly a stew is, where it came from and how to prepare it. We will also present a delicious recipe for grandma’s delicious bean stew (cooked vegan) and give some tips for the preparation. Finally, we present a few variations of the recipe so that you can always enjoy the stew in new ways.
What is a stew?
The stew is a dish made from several ingredients cooked together in one pot. The ingredients can include different types of vegetables, meat, fish or tofu. Usually the stew is prepared with water and/or broth and then seasoned with spices and herbs. The preparation of the stew is very simple and requires little preparation time. The dish is very nutritious and can therefore fill you up.
The Story of the Stew
The stew is a very old dish and probably originated in China. But there is also evidence that the stew originally came from Europe. In the Middle Ages, the stew was very popular because it was easy to prepare and required only a few ingredients. He was also very nutritious and could therefore fill you up well. During the Renaissance, the stew became increasingly popular and spread throughout Europe. Today there are many different variants of the dish, which are prepared in all countries of the world.
Stew – from the classic to the vegan version
Stew is a classic dish that is very popular in many cultures. There are many different types of stew, from the classic version with meat and vegetables to the vegan version with tofu and vegetables.
You don’t always have to use beef broth to cook a classic German stew. Grandma’s Classic Green Bean Stew is a vegan version that tastes just as delicious. Just take a good broth and add some fresh or dried herbs. If you like it a little spicier, you can add a few spices as well. This stew is quick and easy to make and tastes amazing. So give it a try and give Grandma’s recipe a shot.
If you like our vegan bean stew, then these dishes might inspire you:
- Vegan easy carrot stew with mushrooms and pesto
- vegan beetroot soup with soy foam
- creamy and vegan pea mango soup
- easy and cozy brussel sprouts stew
- exotic sweet potato kohlrabi soup
- Ayurvedic chickpea cabbage curry
Grandma's delicious bean stew - cooked vegan
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic.
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Wash the leek and cut into rings.
- Peel the carrots and celery and cut into slices or cubes.
- Clean the beans (remove the blossom and stem base, unthread if necessary). Cut into pieces 2 to 3 cm long.
- Pluck the parsley from the stalks and chop finely. Put aside. Cut the stalks into fine rolls.
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Now fry the onion until translucent. Then add the remaining vegetables (except the beans) and the chopped parsley stalks and sauté lightly.
- Add the beans and pour in the broth until everything is well covered.
- Add the savory, salt, pepper and vinegar and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until potatoes and beans are tender.
- Season again with vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and spring onion rings.