Hasselback beets with coriander pesto – A light dinner, but these beets will also look great on your holiday table, in this colorful veggie dish. Have you ever seen turnips like this? The roasted sweet flavor is sealed in by slicing the beets Hasselback style, creating a crispy skin. Bedded on top of fresh yoghurt and to complement the natural sweetness of the beets, a sauce is made with fresh coriander, ginger, garlic and chile. However, you can also experiment with other herbs like dill, thyme or rosemary to vary the taste.
Hasselback style the iconic fan vegetables
When preparing vegetable hasselback, it is sliced thinly but not all the way through. Thus the discs are like a fan held together at the base. This not only looks good, but also gives the vegetables delicious crispy edges all over.
Where does the preparation method “Hasselbacken” come from? The Hasselback preparation method was introduced in 1953 by a Swede named Leif Elisson and has enjoyed increasing popularity ever since. Originally it was just fan potatoes that can be made quickly and easily. Simply unpeeled, cut several close together, brushed with butter and baked in the oven. My tip: Try the Hasselback style with other types of vegetables such as pumpkin , carrots, sweet potatoes or even kohlrabi. What will be your favorite?
This dish is only really delicious with a lime leaf coriander pesto. This cilantro pesto for our Hasselback Beet is a delicious take on the classic basil pesto. Here we use fresh coriander greens and add kaffir leaves and ginger. This pesto comes with a slightly piquant taste, thanks to ginger and chili, goes well with the sweetness of the beetroot and brings freshness and lightness to this dish.
more recipes with baked vegetables:
- Oven Vegetables with Hasselbacks and Tahinidrizzle
- stuffed pumpkin with vegan vegetable quinoa
- Hasselback squash
- Potato salad with coriander pesto
- Cauliflower steaks from the oven
- vegan turnip curry
This delicious flavor combination and idea comes from the Yotam Ottolenghi book “Flavour”.
Hasselback beets with coriander pesto
Beets with Lime Butter:
Cilantro Lime Pesto:
- 200 grams greek yogurt room temperature
- kosher salt*
- Preheat the oven to around 220°C.
- Wash the beetroot and place in a casserole dish or grill pan. Fill about 2 cm with water and cover well with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the lime butter. Peel and finely chop the ginger and garlic.
- Melt the ginger, garlic along with butter, olive oil and kaffir lime leaves in a saucepan over medium heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until nutty smelling. Remove from the stove and let stand for at least half an hour. When the butter has cooled down a bit, you can remove the solid parts and stir in the lime juice with a little salt.
- Remove from the oven and discard any remaining water.
- When the beet has cooled down a bit, you can peel off the skin. It works a little better if you briefly hold the beets under cold water.
- To cut the beetroot Hasselback style, place two disposable chopsticks on either side of the bulb so you don’t split it completely when slicing. Now cut each beet up to the chopstick at a distance of about 3 mm.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 190°C.
- Place the Hasselback beetroot back in the casserole dish and pour the lime butter over it. Now bake for another 60 to 80 minutes. Every 15 minutes, drizzle the butter over the tubers.
- The beet is ready when it is very soft and caramelized or has a good browning (light crust).
Cilantro Lime Pesto:
- Remove the tough veins from the kaffir lime leaves.
- Roughly chop the ginger. Peel the garlic and also roughly cut into pieces.
- Rinse the cilantro and shake dry.
- Halve the chili. If you don’t like it too spicy, remove the seeds.
- Mix everything together with the olive oil in a blender or blender to form a sauce. Add more olive oil if needed.
Finishing and dressing:
- Salt the yoghurt and spread it on two plates.
- Place the Hasselback beetroot on top of the yoghurt and drizzle with some of the butter.
- Finally, add the coriander pesto and enjoy.