A simple recipe for healthy spelled carrot bread with real carrots, chia seeds and sunflower seeds. The best part is, the dough doesn’t have to rise. Mix the hot dough and put it in the NOT preheated oven. Is it even easier and faster? If so, let me know in the comments.
This carrot bread combines the distinct flavor of rye with the fluffiness you can only get when paired with spelled flour. To make it even more delicious, we add roasted sunflower seeds, chia seeds and freshly grated carrots. It tastes damn good and keeps the bread fresh for days. I love spelled! I think I prefer it to whole wheat, it has a much sweeter flavor and texture. Wholemeal bread can be very dense and almost slightly bitter in taste. I think that might be why most people make whole wheat bread, which is actually mostly white bread. Wheat needed to counteract that bitter taste. But I don’t like that because, in my opinion, white flour is, at least in part, responsible for many of today’s chronic diseases. So I try to avoid this as much as possible, especially when baking and cooking for the home.
My family really likes the many types of bread and wholemeal bread that I put on the table, so it makes me even happier when our little one loves to eat bread. It makes getting something ready in the morning so much easier when that kid comes down the ladder of their bunk bed with a growling stomach and says, “I’m hungry!” before I even put water in the coffeepot. So this healthy spelled and carrot bread was just what I needed. Ready in an hour and 10 minutes. The dough does not need to rise and is placed in the still cold oven. Schwuppdiwupp after an hour of baking time, a wonderfully crispy, yet juicy and healthy bread is ready to bake.
healthy spelled carrot bread
As you may already know, I’ve always been a little scared of baking. Baking bread from scratch is something I never thought I would do as it just seemed so complicated. While researching online, I came across some videos showing different ways to bake spelled bread. I was amazed at how forgiving spelled flour can be in baking. So I went in search of the simplest and safest spelled bread recipe I could find. Let me tell you, the house smelled incredibly good while it was baking. I think my family almost fell over walking in the door. Simply incredibly delicious, especially when it is fresh.
similar recipes as our “healthy spelled carrot bread” to bake yourself:
- simple wholemeal bread to bake yourself
- another juicy wholemeal bread
- vegan spelled rolls
- Spelled barley salad with vegetables
- Bake Manakesh flatbread yourself
- Bake Iranian Naan
- more bread and roll recipes
healthy spelled and carrot bread
- 400 G spelled flour* wholemeal spelled flour
- 100 G rye flour Type 1150
- 1 pack fresh yeast 42g
- 475 ml lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar*
- 100 G sunflower seeds
- 100 G Chia seeds
- 1-2 carrots big
- 2 tsp kosher salt*
- Dissolve the fresh yeast in the lukewarm water.
- Peel the carrots and grate them coarsely on a kitchen grater.
- Mix the flour, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, salt, apple cider vinegar, carrots with the lukewarm yeast water in the food processor and knead.
- The dough does NOT have to rise, so it goes directly into a lightly oiled baking pan and is evenly distributed in it.
- Place the bread in the cold oven. Set the oven to 220 °C top and bottom heat and let the bread bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour, take the bread out of the mold and put it in the oven again for about 5 minutes, without the mold, to finish baking.
- Remove bread and let cool completely on a wire rack.