If you are just looking for a plain and simple recipe for homemade fresh white bread, this is the perfect recipe for you. This is my “boring” and tried and tested recipe for a plain white bread. Are you a bread fan like us? Isn’t there something fantastic about a great piece of freshly baked bread? Whether you’re making a sandwich with jam or jelly, a large savory sandwich with a variety of toppings, or just a slice of buttered bread…
Why should I bake white bread myself?
Baking bread yourself is actually quite simple and not as complex as you might think. Fresh white bread from the oven is ready in just over 2 hours (including the waiting time for it to rise). Baking bread yourself is worth knowing exactly what is in your bread and what you are eating. When you make your bread at home, you don’t risk adding any preservatives, plus you always have freshly baked bread.
This easy white bread recipe will not disappoint when it comes to quality and taste. It doesn’t matter what you use it for, whether it’s school or office lunch, to prepare snacks or sandwiches, or as a side dish for dinner or breakfast. You will be in heaven for homemade bread.
So, don’t buy inferior bread from the store or spend a lot of money on expensive baker’s bread. With this recipe, you can always prepare your white bread at home.
Tips and tricks for making white bread
It doesn’t matter if you use fresh or dry yeast.
This recipe works with wheat flour type 550 and spelled flour type 630.
Use paper towel or brush the mold with oil.
If it’s a bit chilly in your house, let the dough rise in the oven at 50 °C.
If you want the white bread crust to have a nice shine, brush the dough with milk or a mixture of milk and egg yolk before baking. (Of course this is only for non-vegans)
If you want to bake a particularly fluffy and lovely white bread for the sweet breakfast, you should simply replace the lukewarm water with lukewarm milk and reduce the amount of salt to half a teaspoon and add a little more sugar or honey.
How to store homemade white bread
Place in a bread bin, best: A bread bin may sound a bit old-fashioned, but I still find it to be the most effective. If you have one, I suggest you store your bread in it. In a bread box , you have the opportunity to keep your bread fresh for as long as possible.
Wrap it in foil: If you plan to just leave the white bread in the kitchen, you’ll either need to wrap the bread in plastic wrap (not good) or cover it with foil to keep it from drying out. A good hack would be to salvage an old store-bought bread bag and store your homemade bro in it.
Freeze it: To save some money, why not make two loaves at once. Just double the recipe. Slice some bread and freeze them. This way you have a reserve as soon as you run out of bread. In slices? Yes, just put the disc in the microwave or toaster for 20 seconds and you’re done.
similar recipes as our “homemade fresh white bread” to bake yourself:
- Rustic wild garlic pesto baguette
- another juicy wholemeal bread
- vegan spelled rolls
- Make wild garlic pesto yourself
- Bake Manakesh flatbread yourself
- Bake Iranian Naan
- more bread and roll recipes
homemade fresh white bread
- 700 wheat flour 550 or spelled flour 630
- 1 Dice fresh yeast or 2 packs dry yeast*
- 450 ml lukewarm water or milk (novegan)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp kosher salt* ½ tsp for sweet topping
- Whisk the fresh yeast with the sugar in lukewarm water until both have dissolved. Set aside for about 15 minutes. (You can mix dry yeast directly with the flour and then add the water)
- Put the flour in a bowl or in your food processor and add the lukewarm yeast and water mixture and knead until you have a smooth dough.
- Put the bowl with the dough in a warm place and let it rise for an hour. The dough should roughly double in volume.
- Now put the dough in a greased loaf pan (30 cm) and let it rise again for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Score the bread and bake on the middle shelf for 40 to 50 minutes.