A deliciously creamy jackfruit curry with sweet potatoes. An easy to make vegan and gluten free vegetable curry that’s packed with flavor!
This is a new addition to our curry collection. We have a vegetable curry at least once a week and we love this one. It is cooked with warm Indian spices which makes it really delicious. Suitable for the whole family (incl. child).
What is a jackfruit?
Jackfruit grows in tropical areas such as Southeast Asia, South America and Africa. If you’re vegan, you probably already know a lot about jackfruit. However, if you are new to a vegetarian or vegan diet, you may not be familiar with this fruit. The consistency of fruit that is still green is similar to that of chicken or pork, which has made jackfruit popular as a meat substitute. Young jackfruit have a neutral taste, so they can better absorb the flavor of sauces or condiments. That’s why our rather hearty dish calls for young jackfruit.
Jackfruit is a vegan low calorie option with just 80 calories per 100g. It is gluten-free, low-fat and, unlike soy products, its texture resembles that of the young harvested fruit, like chopped meat.
Like most fruits, jackfruit contains antioxidants that can reduce inflammation and promote balanced blood sugar levels.
Canned jackfruit or fresh jackfruit?
When it comes to fruit, I prefer to cook and process fresh or frozen fruit. When it comes to jackfruit, I actually take it out of the can, also to be sure that it is really young harvested fruit. In addition, a jackfruit is usually huge. I believe the jackfruit is the largest fruit in the world and is covered with a green, spiky skin.
Why jackfruit curry works with sweet potatoes
- Jackfruit is a great meat substitute, especially in curry.
- Indian spices add great flavor to this curry. It is still suitable for the whole family, even our 8 year old son loves this curry.
- It’s vegan, soy-free, and gluten-free, making it a great meal for many people. Easy to prepare and super tasty.
- Sweet potatoes add extra sweetness to this dish, making it a very satisfying meal. Simply serve with some rice and or your favorite naan.
if you like our vegan jackfruit curry with sweet potatoes, you might also be interested in these recipes:
- Ayurvedic chickpea and cabbage curry
- Spicy beetroot and carrot curry
- Chickpea noodle curry
- vegan pickle curry
- more vegetable recipes
creamy jackfruit curry with sweet potatoes
- 500 G sweet potatoes
- 2 onions
- 3 clove of garlic
- 1 fresh ginger* walnut size
- 1-2 red chili pepper
- 2 can green jackfruit* a 400g
- 2 vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. madras curry*
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder*
- 250 ml coconut milk*
- 750 ml vegetable broth
- 6 curry leaves* Asian market
- 1 cinnamon stick*
- 1 small Bunch of coriander
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsp. agave syrup*
- kosher salt*
- Pepper* from the mill
- 1 tsp Cinammon to taste
- spring onion
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into cubes about 2x2cm.
- Peel onions and cut into wedges.
- Peel the garlic and ginger and cut into thin slices.
- Cut the chili into fine rings.
- Wash the lime in hot water and cut into 0.5 cm thick slices.
- Pour the jackfruit into a colander, rinse and drain well.
- Heat vegetable oil in a suitable saucepan.
- Sweat the curry and turmeric in it briefly until they smell of spices.
- Add the jackfruit, onion wedges, garlic, ginger and chili to the saucepan with the spices. Fry vigorously for about 3 minutes .
- Deglaze with vegetable stock and pour in coconut milk.
- Now add the sweet potatoes, curry leaves, lime slices and cinnamon stick. Let the vegetable curry simmer gently for 25 minutes without a lid. Stir occasionally.
- While the curry is cooking, rinse the cilantro, shake dry and roughly chop.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, remove the curry leaves, lime slices and cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the agave syrup and season with salt, pepper and, if you like, a little more cinnamon.
- Serve sprinkled with coriander.
- Serve with rice, naan or a fresh salad.