Korean Kale Salad
Vegan and gluten-free – Korean Kale Salad (Kale namul) easy and on the table in minutes. Tastes lightly roasted, is subtly spicy and is hearty and healthy all round. Our salad recipe is based on the Korean side salad made from blanched spinach (Sigeumchi namul 시금치 나물). Not only does this recipe bring all the ingredients together in minutes, but it can be made ahead and kept refrigerated (bring to room temperature before serving) for up to 3 days. Whether you’re looking to add some greenery to your lunch routine or need an easy, tasty side dish for your next dinner party, Asian-style Kale Salad has you covered.
This is the healthy way to eat
There are several ways to prepare this Korean kale side dish. The recipe I’m going to present here is mainly based on soy sauce, garlic and sesame oil as the key condiments. For people who are used to a stronger flavor, gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste) is a real flavorful alternative. Kale salad made with this recipe also goes well with bibimbap and kimbap. I hope you like it.
Why it works
- Rapid blanching and then rapid cooling of the kale wilts it slightly while retaining its green color and fresh flavor.
- Wringing water out of the kale allows it to soak up the flavorful sesame dressing in which it’s marinated.
- This banchan* can be made days in advance, making it a perfect side dish at a buffet or for an office lunch.
What is Banchan – 반찬飯饌?
*Banchan refers to several small side dishes in Korean cuisine. They are usually served with rice in a Korean meal. They are served in small portions (not always) and should be shared with everyone at the table. Banchan can be a side dish of vegetables, as here, but seafood and meat are also often an ingredient. They are not decorations or appetizers, they are the meal, along with soup, main course and/or cooked rice.
if you like our Korean Kale Salad, you might also like these recipes:
- Soba noodle salad with peanut dressing
- Wholemeal wrap with peanut sauce and crispy tofu
- Fall salad with quinoa and seasonal vegetables
- Potato salad with coriander pesto
- Korean Spinach Salad
- more salad recipes…
Today we’re going to be making another of the vegetarian banchans*, Korian-style kale salad. Easy, healthy and quick to make. In kale season, we eat these banchans regularly throughout the week. You should add this delicious kale salad to your banchan repertoire and pair it with many main dishes. Here we go!
Korean Kale Salad – vegan
- 250 G Kale
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 red chili pepper
- 1 small Bunch of coriander
- 1 spring onion
- 2½ tsp Soy sauce*
- ½ tsp maple syrup*
- 2½ tsp Sesame oil* roasted
- 2 tsp white sesame* roasted
- 1-2 tsp gochuyang* Korean Red Chili Pepper Paste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In the meantime, sort the kale, wash it and cut out the thick stalks and leaf veins.
- Boil the water, blanch the kale for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir gently from time to time.
- Drain the kale and rinse a few times in cold water to cool it and preserve that nice deep green color. Drain well.
- Form a ball out of the kale and squeeze out the excess water. Now cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Cut the red chili into fine rings.
- Cut the scallions into fine rings.
- Wash the coriander, shake dry and roughly chop.
- In a bowl, hand mix the kale with the garlic, scallions, soy sauce, chili, maple syrup, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
- Now arrange the kale salad in small bowls or on plates and optionally garnish with more chili and/or toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with rice.