Light stir-fry vegetables with grilled cheese is an easy vegetarian dinner that you can prepare well in advance. Simply throw all the vegetables into a grill pan, top with separately fried halloumi pieces and enjoy. A light vegetarian stir-fry with zucchini, yellow and red peppers, cherry tomatoes, shallots and garlic, roasted Mediterranean vegetables and halloumi. Served with quick homemade mojo verde.
What is halloumi?
Halloumi is a salty cheese from Cyprus, in the best sense of the word, that can withstand heat. This semi-hard cheese is made from goat’s or sheep’s milk, or a combination of both.
The best thing about halloumi is that halloumi has a high melting point, so you can grill or fry it. Halloumi also has a lot of vitamin D. The vitamin regulates the calcium and phosphorus balance, thus building bone substance and good teeth. It influences our muscle strength and contributes to a functioning immune system.
Do you need this for the recipe?
- Vegetables: I use small potatoes (aka triplets), zucchini, mushrooms, shallots, red and yellow peppers, and halved cherry tomatoes. A rainbow of colors, textures and flavors.
- Olive Oil: No Mediterranean recipe is complete without olive oil. I toss the veggies in the olive oil, salt, and pepper right into the pan. You will also need olive oil in the “mojo verde” herb sauce.
- Garlic: I like to roast the garlic cloves in the pan so that I can add them to the herb sauce later.
- Halloumi: Once you have halloumi, you’ll be hooked by its salty, squeaky, and flavorful bite. It goes so well with the veggies.
- Mojo Verde – Herb Sauce: With lots of coriander and parsley, lemon juice and roasted garlic, you can make the pesto-inspired sauce in a food processor* . Our vegan carrot green pesto could also be served with it.
What can I serve with the grilled vegetables?
I would bed these tasty veggies with halloumi on top of cooked grains like barley, couscous, or spelt. Simply that way 😉
if you like our light stir-fry vegetables with grilled cheese and mojo verde, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Spanish chickpea salad with spinach – vegan
- Almond broccoli from the oven
- vegan summer salad with quinoa
- oven-roasted fennel with parmesan
- Quinoa and barley salad with sweet dates
- Spelled barley salad with vegan vegetables
I’m a big fan of my grill pan that goes right on top of my burner on the stovetop. It’s a great way to grill vegetables indoors. Let’s cook!
light pan-fried vegetables with grilled cheeselight pan-fried vegetables with grilled cheese
- Vegetable brush*
- paring knife*
- grill pan*
- Herbs such as parsley, cress, basil, chervil…
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and scrub well if necessary. Boil the potatoes just before they are done. Let cool slightly and cut in half.
- Clean mushrooms, cut in half, quarter large ones.
- Wash the peppers, halve, deseed, remove the white membrane and cut into large pieces.
- Halve the zucchini lengthwise and cut into pieces.
- Wash and halve the cocktail tomatoes.
- Peel and halve the shallots.
Prepare mojo verde:
- For the mojo, wash the coriander and parsley, shake dry, pluck and roughly chop.
- Peel garlic. Chop coarsely. (I briefly roast the garlic for the mojo with a little oil in the pan, but this is optional)
- Wash, halve and deseed the chili pepper. Chop coarsely.
- Put everything in a blender or blender* with the white wine vinegar and olive oil and chop well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and cumin.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Roast the peppers and shallots.
- Add the pre-cooked potatoes, mushrooms and courgettes and roast them.
- Near the end, add the tomatoes to the pan and toast them lightly so they don’t melt. Season with salt, pepper and some cumin.
- Cut the halloumi into slices or strips. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large grill pan and fry the halloumi until crispy. Leave enough space between the individual cheese slices so that they do not stick together. Season the cheese with pepper from the mill.
- Arrange the vegetables and halloumi on plates and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Serve with the mojo and herbs (optional) and enjoy!