Time seems to go by way too fast. We are now stuck in the 2nd Corona lockdown, our restaurant is closed and I can’t believe it’s almost a month before Christmas. So what am I gonna do? I just write a few put back articles and recipes. So now for this vegan coriander pesto to make yourself, which is actually suitable for summer, a delicious Asian variant of the traditional basil pesto. It goes perfectly with your favorite pasta, serves as a dip for vegetables or oven-roasted vegetables, and is even drizzled onto soup . I used it to use up too much cilantro as it lasts longer in the fridge than the fresh herbs and it’s delicious too!
Make your own coriander pesto – my #1 summer pesto
Making your own cilantro pesto is so easy – you don’t really need a recipe, but I’ll give you one anyway 😉
This true Italian classic is surprisingly easy to make and packed with antioxidants. The added ginger and lemon makes the rest of the ingredients rise and gives the cilantro a bright and refreshing taste. Although pine nuts are a traditional addition to classic pesto, I use roasted cashews in my version. You can also omit the nuts for a nut-free option if you like.
This recipe can be customized to your liking – add or subtract more or less of your favorite ingredients as you wish.
You can vary the pesto recipe by adding or substituting any of the following ingredients for a flavorful twist:
- Chili, chili flakes, hot peppers, paprika
- lemon juice or lemon zest
- lime juice or lime zest
- Replace the cashews with hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds…
You can serve Asian-style coriander pesto with the following dishes, for example:
- Hasselback beets with coriander pesto
- Eggplant filled ravioli with pesto
- Zucchini carrot fritters – fast and crispy
- Potato salad with coriander pesto
- Cauliflower steaks from the oven
Make your own coriander pesto in asia-style
- 30 G Cashews*
- 1 clove of garlic
- 40 G Ginger* fresh
- 2 small Bunch of fresh coriander
- 2 small Bunch of fresh parsley smoothness
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- kosher salt*
- Pepper* freshly ground
- cutting board*
- For the pesto, roughly chop the cashew nuts and roast in a pan without fat until golden brown.
- Peel and coarsely chop the garlic.
- Peel the ginger and grate or chop finely.
- Rinse the coriander and parsley, shake dry and roughly chop.
- Using an immersion blender or blender, blend prepared ingredients with lemon juice and oil to form a smooth paste.
- Season with salt and pepper.