A simple but delicious recipe for melon salad with cucumber and shiso cress. Melon and cucumber topped with roasted sesame and spicy shiso cress. A light and refreshing summer salad bowl with Asian dressing. Served on rice with avocado and cilantro. Vegan, gluten free and full of flavor. A simple but unusual summer salad that’s sure to get rave reviews.
Watermelon Cucumber Salad is one of those flavor combinations that might sound a bit strange, but it just goes sooo well together. Add an avocado and edamame to the mix and you have a fresh and colorful side dish that everyone will love.
How do you make melon and cucumber salad?
For this recipe you need diced watermelon, sliced cucumbers, rice, coriander and shiso as cress or the fine red leaves. A simple Asian-style ginger-lime dressing is poured over the salad and everything is thrown together for a fresh and colorful dish. The sweet watermelon with the salty soy dressing is a flavor combination that may sound unconventional, but it’s actually amazingly good.
A simple, fresh and super light Asian watermelon salad with cucumber, creamy avocado, fresh herbs and cress with a zesty ginger lime dressing. A salad to serve at your next party or pair with other summer favorites from the grill.
more homemade salads like this? Then take a look at these… delicious!
- vegan summer salad with golden quinoa
- easy vegan quinoa cabbage salad
- Vegan power salad made from quinoa
- Spicy cucumber and radish salad
- more quinoa recipes
Melon salad with cucumber and shiso cress
For the salad:
- ½ watermelon seedless
- 1 cucumber
- 200 G Edamame
- 200 G basmati rice*
- 3 spring onions
- 1 small Bunch of coriander
- kosher salt*
- Pepper* from the mill
- 2 avocado
- 2 beds Shiso cress or shiso leaves
- red chili pepper or hot peppers, optional
- sesame black/white*
Sesame Lime Dressing:
- 1 fresh ginger* walnut size
- 4 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. Sesame oil* roasted
- 2½ tbsp. lime juice
- 2½ tbsp. agave syrup* or honey
- Prepare rice according to package directions and set aside to cool.200 G basmati rice*
- Cut the watermelon into roughly 1×1 cm cubes.
- Wash the cucumber, cut in half lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a spoon, quarter lengthways and then cut into cubes.1 cucumber
- Wash the spring onions and cut diagonally into fine rings.3 spring onions
- Cook edamame in boiling, lightly salted water for 2 to 3 minutes, place in a colander and cool under cold running water.200 G Edamame
- Rinse the coriander, shake dry and roughly chop.1 small Bunch of coriander
- Cut the chili or peppers into fine rings. (optional)red chili pepper
- Peel and finely grate the ginger.1 fresh ginger*
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl, then pour over the watermelon salad.
Arranging and serving:
- Carefully mix the melon, cucumber, chili, spring onions and edamame with the dressing.
- Place the rice in a small bowl and arrange the marinated salad on top.
- Halve the avocado, peel off the peel, remove the stone and place in the bowl.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and shiso cress freshly cut from the bed.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame.