Since salad season is in full swing all year round, I wanted to create another delicious, non-boring salad recipe to share. Moroccan Carrot Date Salad is a side salad and comes with few ingredients, is easy to make, delicious, nutritious and also pretty to look at which is always a bonus.
Why You’ll Love This Carrot Salad
Our Moroccan Carrot Date Salad is a great side dish that only takes a few minutes to prep. We love the blend of deliciously sweet roasted carrots in a hearty and sometimes spicy mix of cumin, cinnamon, smoked paprika, lemon and parsley (if you like cilantro, try that). This one is perfect if you don’t want a too elegant presentation. It’s perfect for those of us who don’t like elaborate salads.
We love making our Carrot Date Salad year round as fresh carrots are easy to find any time of year.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
This Moroccan Carrot Date Salad is easy to make ahead of time and can be served warm, room temperature, or cold. This salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Stew and season the carrots. When serving the salad, I recommend placing the salad on top of fresh baby spinach or rocket just before serving.
Should I peel carrots before frying?
It’s all up to you I prefer to peel my carrots before roasting as it gives a more delicate appearance, but it’s not essential. If you wish to leave the skin on, scrub the carrots with a vegetable brush* to ensure you remove any dirt or debris before cooking. And don’t worry, your guests will be too preoccupied with the rich flavors to appreciate the outer skin.
More Fresh Salad Recipes You May Love:
- Moroccan Black Lentil Salad
- Moroccan Buckwheat Pumpkin Salad
- vegan TexMex pasta salad
- Quinoa barley salad with dates vegan
- vegan mediterranean chickpea salad
- Moroccan carrot and chickpea stew
Tips for preparation and serving:
To add even more fiery zest to your salad, stir 1/2 teaspoon of harissa into your salad.
If you’d like a topping, I recommend feta or vegan feto, but goat’s cheese, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios, walnuts, and hazelnuts are also great alternatives that would work well on the Moroccan carrot and date salad.
Moroccan carrot and date salad
- Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler (optional). then I cut thin slices (about 1mm thick).
- Remove the stone from the dates and chop.
- Parsley (we love coriander), rinse, shake dry, pluck from the stalks and roughly chop.
- Heat the olive oil in the pan, add the carrot slices, salt, pepper and sauté. Add agave syrup and cover. Simmer for about 2 minutes, reducing the heat.
- Mix in the cumin, smoked paprika, a pinch of cinnamon and the dates. Remove from the heat and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix in the herbs and leave to stand for a few minutes.
- Serve warm or cold on top of spinach or rocket. Enjoy with any topping (see above).