Spiced and Baked Potato Wedges in Cheese Jalapeños Dip are the perfect side dish that goes with almost anything and a delicious warm snack for TV night or at the buffet. I used to buy my wedges in the store until I realized how easy and, above all, quick to make things at home. This quick potato wedges recipe is perfect for weeknights. A mix of potato and sweet potato. so quick and easy, tastes like it’s in the pub. Except that we cook them in the oven and don’t fry them.
What makes this recipe so delicious?
- when the combination of potatoes and sweet potatoes are roasted in the oven at high heat, they are soft and fluffy on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside
- finely grated garlic and fresh thyme are the combination for the taste
- using just a little olive oil makes the taste less oily and a lot healthier too
- the sparing use of flavors makes them a versatile side dish that goes with almost anything
Please use real cheese
Instead of using melted cheese or even foraged cheese, I decided to make the cheese jalapeño dip using real cheddar cheese and simple ingredients.
You can adapt or change the recipe for our cheese sauce in many different ways. I added an extra helping of parmesan, tomato paste, and jalapeños to the cheddar. Feel free to add chili peppers, garlic powder or even some cumin. Some chopped spring onions or a few dried and finely diced tomatoes would also work. Experiment and have fun.
Here are some tips to make the cheese and jalapeño dip with the potato wedges a success
- let the flour cook quietly in the butter for a minute or two. This will eliminate the “floury” taste
- use straight cheddar for a creamy dip. Chili cheddar and what else to buy today might make the dip lumpy
- remove the saucepan from the heat before stirring in the cheese. So don’t overheat the sauce after adding the cheese or it won’t burn or get lumpy. If heat then only low heat to completely melt the cheese
- do not use cheese that is already grated. This sometimes contains many additives that are supposed to prevent sticking, for example. This can have a negative effect on the taste of the cheese dip.
Potato wedges in cheese jalapeños dip
if you like our potato wedges in cheese and jalapeños dip, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- baked Chinese cabbage
- Sweet Potato Bowl
- Zucchini carrot fritters – fast and crispy
- Ayurvedic chickpea and cabbage curry
- vegan rondini with lentil filling
- vegan turnip curry
Potato wedges in cheese jalapeños dip – finger food
for the potato wedges:
Bake potato wedges:
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Peel all the potatoes (you don’t have to, but then wash them well and brush them if necessary). Cut potatoes into wedges.
- Peel the garlic and grate finely on the kitchen grater.
- Rinse the thyme sprigs and shake dry. Pluck the leaves from the stems.
- Mix the potato wedges with the grated garlic, thyme leaves and the olive oil. Season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Then spread the normal potatoes next to each other on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake in hot oven for 5 minutes . Then add the sweet potato wedges and bake everything together for another 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Turn once halfway through.
Prepare cheese sauce:
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the cheese sauce. To do this, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add flour and stir well. Then slowly stir in the milk with a whisk. Then stir in the crème fraîche and tomato paste. salt and pepper. Cook everything for about 5 minutes .
- Wash and roughly chop the jalapeños. Cut a few rings to decorate.
- Now coarsely grate the cheddar and parmesan and mix. Remove the pot from the heat and fold two-thirds of the cheese and the jalapeños into the sauce.
Finishing and dressing:
- Once the potatoes are baked, let them cool slightly.
- To make it easier to arrange the potato wedges in the casserole dish, first sprinkle the remaining cheese into the dish so that the potatoes can stand up well. Now place all the potatoes in a circle around the edge. Carefully pour the cheese sauce into the center and distribute the jalapeño rings on top.
- Bake again in the hot oven for about 10 minutes.
- Enjoy hot!