Cabbage Soup has always been the favorite of January dieters and what fits better than this Cabbage Bean Soup. Vegan and light home cooking! Enjoy the comforting and hearty aroma of this easy cabbage and bean soup – there’s no better way to welcome in the new year.
Plain cabbage and bean soup is winter comfort food
It’s cool outside, the rain and wind have returned after the turn of the year. Vegan comfort food like this cabbage bean soup has found its way into our weekly menu.
I find that soups and stews are one of the easiest ways to provide comfort and warmth during the colder seasons. Easy too, since this cabbage soup comes together in just one pot and scores with a certain flexibility in terms of cooking time and ingredients.
This vegetarian (if you add a piece of parmesan rind to the broth) or vegan cabbage soup helps me meet my healthy eating goals. Not that I have to eat it to lose weight, but because it’s nutritious, filling, and hearty. On top of that, it tastes delicious! The addition of chili in this winter stew adds that warm comfort factor that I’m looking for this time of year anyway.
If you like our vegan cabbage and bean soup, then these recipes might inspire you:
- Sweet Potato Pumpkin Curry
- Caramelized fennel with sweet onions
- Chickpea Zucchini Curry
- vegan fennel gratin with wild rice
- spicy vegan beetroot carrot curry
- baked sweet potatoes with beet feto topping
Simple cabbage bean soup with chickpeas and fennel
- 1 endive (escarole) or Chinese cabbage, savoy…
- 1 can kidney beans approx. 400 g, or cannellini
- 1 can Chickpeas* about 400g
- 1 L vegetable broth
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 Onion
- 2-3 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste*
- 3 tbsp. native olive oil*
- 1 small bunch of thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 prize chili flakes* optional
- kosher salt*
- Pepper* from the mill
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 small bunch parsley
- Wash the cabbage, spin dry and tear or roughly chop into pieces.1 endive
- Peel and dice the onion and garlic.1 Onion, 2-3 clove of garlic
- Wash the fennel, cut in half, remove the stalk and cut into strips.1 fennel bulb
- Drain the beans and chickpeas in a colander and rinse well.1 can kidney beans, 1 can Chickpeas*
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions and fennel in it until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and chili flakes and sauté, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. (Do not brown garlic).
- Add cabbage, toss through and season with salt. Cook until the cabbage has just wilted. This takes no longer than 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, beans, chickpeas and the broth to the cabbage in the saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes.1 tbsp. tomato paste*, 1 L vegetable broth
- Pluck the thyme from the sprigs and add to the stew. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.1 small bunch of thyme, Pepper*, juice of half a lemon, kosher salt*
- Serve with crusty bread, parsley and chilli flakes (optional).1 small bunch parsley