A good bowl of spicy miso ramen with shiitake mushrooms. Here’s a rich and flavorful recipe for vegan (if you just omit the egg) ramen simmered with a flavorful, rich miso shiitake broth.
This vegetarian ramen soup gets its full flavor from two umami-rich ingredients like shiitake mushrooms and miso paste. Umami is the fifth basic taste, such as sweet, salty, sour and bitter. Translated from Japanese, the word means “pleasant savory taste”, which is what we call “delicious” in our culinary world. A soup made from a rich broth combined with green vegetables, fried assorted mushrooms and springy fresh ramen noodles make this dish a comforting and hearty option for a chilly evening.
Every ramen dish consists of 3 components and always starts with an aromatic broth. Then come the mostly separately cooked ramen noodles. And while this broth is cooking, prep the other veggies, toppings, or accompaniments.
Variations for vegan ramen toppings
Crispy fried tofu, bamboo shoots (unfortunately hard to come by and the jar counterparts aren’t a comparable option in my opinion), nori cut into strips, carrots, daikon radish, chopped Chinese cabbage, fried or steamed pak choy, fried mushrooms, fresh baby Spinach, spring onions, baked vegetables or enoke mushrooms that you simply pour over with the broth!
I also love adding something crunchy and fresh for texture – in this case it’s fresh chopped spring onions and mung bean sprouts. You can also try watermelon radishes, Japanese cucumbers or daikon radishes.
Vegetarians should also indulge in a soft-boiled ramen egg in the flavorful miso ramen with shiitake mushrooms. The recipe for the ramen eggs “Ajitsuke Tamago” can be found here!
What I love about this flavorful broth is that you can prep it over the weekend. Then, during a busy week, all you can do is take them out of the fridge to heat up for use and pour over pasta and vegetables. You can store this vegan ramen broth in a jar in the fridge.
If you like our Spicy Miso Ramen with Shiitake Mushrooms, you may also be interested in these recipes:
- Japanese soup with vegan dashi
- exotic sweet potato kohlrabi soup
- Stewed cucumber curry the Ayurvedic way
- Cauliflower steaks from the oven with coriander pesto
- Ayurvedic Chickpea Zucchini Curry
spicy miso ramen with shiitake mushrooms
- 30 G Shiitake mushrooms* dried
- 1 el vegetable oil
- 3 clove of garlic
- 2 shallot
- fresh ginger* walnut size
- 1 L chicken broth
- 1 1/2 el miso paste*
- 2 tsp Soy sauce*
- 400 G fresh mushrooms Shiitake, shimeji, king oyster mushrooms, mushrooms, porcini mushrooms, oyster mushrooms…
- 150 G Instant Ramen Noodles* Throw away packets of spices or use them differently
- 1 el rice wine vinegar*
- Black pepper* from the mill
- 4 eggs soft-boiled
- 2 spring onion
- mung bean sprouts AKA bean sprouts
- Cover the dried shiitake mushrooms with hot water and let them steep for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the mushroom water and set aside. Finely chop the mushrooms.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic. Peel the shallots and cut into fine cubes.
- Peel and finely grate the ginger.
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, diced shallots and ginger and sauté until translucent. Add the chopped shiitake mushrooms and roast until golden brown.
- Pour in the mushroom water and chicken broth. Add the miso paste and soy sauce to the broth. Bring pot to a boil, reduce heat and cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Put the eggs in the boiling water and cook for about 5-6 minutes, remove and rinse. Set aside until ready to serve. Or you can use our recipe for ramen eggs “Ajitsuke Tamago” – marinated eggs .
- Cut the various mushrooms (mushroom mushrooms, shiitake, oyster mushrooms…) into pieces and sauté briefly in hot oil. Shimeji mushrooms can be added directly to the broth.
- Add mushrooms and ramen to the broth. The noodles should be cooked through in 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the rice wine vinegar and season with soy sauce and pepper.
- Wash spring onions and shake dry. Cut into fine rings. to peel eggs.
- To Serve: Divide ramen and mushrooms into bowls with the broth, garnish with spring onions, fresh bean sprouts, halved egg and mountain coriander. Enjoy!