Simple recipe for vegan buckwheat pancakes with salad. These healthy patties are super tasty and quick to prepare. Buckwheat is a regional superfood, very healthy and keeps you full for a long time.
Many readers always ask me for ideas on what to make from buckwheat. I have to say to all of you and many others who may have never thought of making vegan patties from buckwheat or even cooking with buckwheat: These are the healthy fritters you have been waiting for. They’re crunchy, flavorful and packed with nutrients. You can make them ahead ahead of time and keep them in the fridge until you need them for a quick lunch or dinner. Or you can make them for a vegan burger night like we do more often.
Let’s start with the work you need to put into these little guys. Aside from boiling the buckwheat kernels and roughly chopping the peppers (feel free to grate other veggies like carrots, zucchini, or even beetroot into the patties), these patties come together easily and in minutes. However, some cooking and resting time is required. So read the recipe in its entirety first so that you are not surprised. I like to make the buckwheat patties with leftover buckwheat leftovers over the weekend to prepare on a Sunday evening and eat during the week.
Before I leave you with the recipe, a quick word about buckwheat. If you’ve never used buckwheat before, fear not!
Nowadays you can buy buckwheat in almost every supermarket. But the best sources are these shops, where nowadays you can fill your grains without unnecessary packaging. Just look for a health island or look for the gluten-free section in your trusted store. “Gluten-free” brings me straight to one of buckwheat’s best attributes. It’s gluten-free, which means anyone who is sensitive to gluten or wheat products can enjoy these vegan buckwheat fritters with a salad.
And although the name may suggest it, buckwheat has nothing to do with wheat. In fact, it’s not even a grain, but are seeds, just like amaranth or quinoa.
vegan buckwheat pancakes for salad suggestions:
- vegan tomato and bean salad with peach
- Beetroot Herb Tabbouleh
- quick kidney bean salad
- Moroccan lentil salad
- Potato salad with coriander pesto
- Soba noodle salad with peanut dressing
- more salad recipes…
vegan buckwheat pancakes for salad
- Boil the buckwheat with twice the amount of water for about 15 minutes over low heat. Then remove from the heat and leave to swell for another 10 minutes with the lid closed, until the buckwheat has absorbed the remaining liquid.
- Soak flaxseed in some water.
- Wash the spring onions and cut into fine rings.
- Wash the peppers, cut in half, remove the seeds and membranes. Cut into fine cubes.
- Add the spring onions and peppers to the buckwheat along with the flaxseed and cornstarch. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape into flat patties with moistened hands and fry in a pan with rapeseed oil until crispy.