Maybe the best vegan omelet without eggs and without chickpea flour. I combine my vegan omelet with Korean BBQ mushrooms.
To be honest, there are quite a few vegan omelette recipes out there on the internet, but most are more like a sad cracked tortilla than a classic brunch meal. Most vegan omelets I’ve seen are based on chickpea flour. To be honest, that’s not mine because my goal is to make an omelet, not a pancake. My brief was to conjure up the best and most authentic vegan omelet. The experiments were directed towards a true look, smell, texture and taste of an egg omelette.
The secret is to use soft tofu, plain flour (gluten-free flour works too), and cornstarch. You realize these are easy-to-find ingredients that you can use to make an omelette fluffy, golden and perfect for classic or exotic omelette fillings, rolls, finger food or vegan egg strips for kimbab .
Vegan Bulgogi – Korean BBQ Mushrooms
Traditional bulgogi is a popular Korean dish made with thinly sliced marinated beef. It is usually grilled, but is often pan or oven fried at home. In this easy recipe, replace the meat with vegan-friendly but meaty-textured Korean mushrooms.
If you want this recipe to be gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free tamari or soy sauce. If you’re not using reduced-sodium soy sauce, adjust the amount of salt you use, otherwise it could taste way too salty.
vegan egg flavor with Kala Namak salt
Kala Namak is also called Indian black salt. It is a traditional Indian spice used in Ayurvedic cuisine. Sulfur compounds contained in the salt create the unmistakable smell and taste of boiled eggs in Kala Namak.
Because of this unique taste, this salt is particularly valued and used by vegans as an alternative to egg flavor. It is also indispensable in Indian chutneys, masalas or rajitas. Kala Namak is also often served with exotic fruits. Refine your salads, cheese, chutneys or dishes with rice and turn them into unique specialties.
Kala Namak is available here in Berlin, for example in Kaufland, and is there by the salt.
if you like our vegan omelette with BBQ mushrooms, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- Korean Kale Salad
- easy and vegan Korean spinach salad
- Korean cabbage pancakes baechujeon
- Spicy beetroot and carrot curry
- vegan cauliflower korma with tofu
- Brussels sprouts and tofu stir fry with miso sauce
vegan omelette with Korean BBQ mushrooms
Korean BBQ Mushrooms:
- 500 grams fresh mushrooms Mushrooms, Shimeji mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms …
- 1 tsp gochuyang* Korean red pepper paste (or more)
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar*
- 1 tsp maple syrup*
- 2 tbsp. dark soy sauce*
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Sesame oil* roasted
- kosher salt*
- Pepper* from the mill
- some water to dilute
- 200 grams tofu
- 120 ml water
- 30 grams food starch
- 20 grams flour
- ½ tsp Kala Namak*
- ½ tsp turmeric powder*
- ¼ tsp kosher salt*
- ¼ tsp Pepper*
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
Prepare BBQ Mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut off hard parts from the stalks and roots of the mushrooms.
- Halve or quarter large mushrooms. Leave small mushrooms whole.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Add some water to thin it out a bit. Toss the mushrooms in the marinade and mix until all of the mushrooms are coated in the marinade.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
Prepare vegan omelet:
- While the mushrooms are roasting in the oven, let’s prepare the omelet.
- Blend all ingredients except the vegetable oil in a blender until smooth. The batter should be about the consistency of pancake batter.
- Heat some vegetable oil (not much) in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Pour the vegan egg mixture into the pan in portions and spread it out by shaking the pan.
- Fry the omelette for about 3 to 4 minutes . Turn and finish frying.
- Slide out of the pan.
Arranging and serving:
- Take mushrooms out of the oven.
- You could serve the mushrooms on top of or in the omelette, or like I prefer, shape the omelet into a roll or bag and serve the mushrooms with it.