Skip the meat and try this vegan Veggie Udon Vegetable Bowl made with udon noodles, spicy tofu and roasted vegetables. For the perfect finish, spring onions, fresh cucumber strips and roasted sesame seeds are topped. So easy – so delicious! Yes! You can enjoy this veggie bowl in 20-25 minutes! Ultra customizable. Add any veggies or protein and prove that delicious doesn’t have to be time-consuming.
If you have udon noodles in your pantry or freezer, start with this versatile recipe for a quick and easy dinner. And this udon bowl is ready in just about 20 minutes, from start to finish.
This great basic udon noodle recipe is easy to change up based on what you have in the pantry or to use up leftovers from the fridge. Feel free to add a protein. In addition to or as a substitute for my suggestion of veggies, you could use carrots, peppers, bean sprouts, chopped cabbage, or just about anything else you have around for a great twist.
Types of udon noodles
Frozen udon noodles are my favorite here as I find they have better flavor and texture than the ambient variety. They are boiled in a large pot of boiling water for about 1 minute. You can also thaw them in cold water and then steep them in hot (no longer boiling) water.
Shelf-stable udon noodles are the udon noodles that are typically found vacuum-packed on the shelf. They are wonderfully comfortable and just need to be soaked in hot water to loosen them up a bit. It only takes 1 minute and they can be further processed or served.
Semi-dried udon noodles should be boiled in a sufficiently large pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes.
Dried udon noodles need to be cooked for about 10 minutes. Test whether they are done by taking the noodles out of the pot, holding them under cold water for a moment and then biting into them. The udon noodles should no longer be hard in the middle.
if you like our udon and vegetable bowl, you might also be interested in these dishes:
- vegan udon noodle soup
- Green tea soba noodle salad with cucumber and edamame
- Japanese soup with vegan dashi
- Cauliflower Kale Salad with Turmeric Dressing
- Soba noodle bowl with Asian flavors
- vegan soba noodle salad with peanut dressing
The sauce or marinade for the udon
When it comes to the sauce, the sambal oelek is responsible for the spicy part of this marinade. If you’re new to this hot chili-based paste, look for it in the Asian sauces section of your grocery store. Nowadays it can be found in almost all grocery stores. If you don’t like it too spicy, start with 1 teaspoon of the Sambal Oelek and gradually work your way up to your taste. So be careful, different brands of sambal oelek really pack a punch and a little bit is enough.
Veggie Udon Vegetable Bowl
- 200 G bimi broccoli
- 100 G mushrooms cut in slices.
- 500 G udon noodles*
- 4 tbsp. avocado oil* or olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder*
- kosher salt* little
- Pepper* from the mill
- ½ cucumber
- 180 G tofu or tempeh
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup*
- 2 tbsp. Soy sauce*
- 1 tsp light miso paste
- 4 tbsp. Soy sauce*
- 1 tsp onion powder*
- 1 tsp garlic powder*
- 2 tsp Sesame oil* roasted
- 2 tsp Sambal Oelek* to taste
- 2 tsp coconut blossom sugar*
- 3 tsp Chinkiang Rice Vinegar*
- small Bunch of coriander
- 1 spring onions
- sesame black/white* roasted
- wash Bimi. Cut thick stalks in a criss-cross pattern to cook faster.
- Clean the mushrooms and cut them in slices.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Lightly fry the Bimi and mushrooms in hot avocado oil. At the very end, add the garlic and sauté briefly until fragrant.
- Put the vegetables in a bowl, season with salt, pepper and onion powder. Mix well.
- Slice tofu.
- Fry in the same pan until crispy. Add the maple syrup and soy sauce and cook until the sauce thickens and is glossy.
- Prepare udon noodles package instructions. I like to use the broth that comes with it.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the pasta marinade.
- When the noodles are done, toss them into the bowl with the marinade and mix gently.
- Now arrange everything in a bowl.
- Use a vegetable peeler to cut thin strips of cucumber to add some freshness to the bowl.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander leaves, spring onion rings, cucumber strips and toasted sesame seeds.