Wild garlic bread delicious and vegan. In spring, the Brandenburg landscape is garnished with the scent of wild garlic. The green leaves are great in salads, pesto and sauces, and add a nice, subtle garlic flavor to your handmade bread. We hope to encourage you to try this bread recipe again this month. One of the easiest to assemble and most indulgent spring breads that goes with any meal or salad .
What do you need to know about wild garlic?
Wild garlic is also known under the names wild garlic, garlic spinach, wild garlic or ramsen.
But why do we call it bear garlic or wild garlic? That’s because when bears wake up from their spring hibernation, they often look for these garlic bulbs to regain their strength. Wild garlic is rich in vitamin C and iron and essential oils. But for me personally the biggest advantage is that it grows in unpolluted areas. It is not treated with chemicals, making it an exceptional wild edible plant. It would be a shame if it weren’t included in our diet.
The wild garlic season is short. Just from March to May you can find it in the woods or gardens.
Be careful when picking wild garlic!
If you go into the forest in search of wild garlic, be careful not to pick some of its doubles. Wild garlic can usually be confused with these three plants: lily of the valley, arum or autumn crocus (but only flowers in late summer to autumn, but is highly toxic). The easiest way to distinguish wild garlic from other plants is to rub the leaf between two fingers. It should then smell like regular garlic.
When picking wild garlic, try not to pick many leaves at once, because then you could easily pick leaves of some poisonous plants. Only pick as much as you can eat and leave something for the other gatherers. If you are unsure about picking wild edible plants, go into the woods with someone who has the experience.
This quick bread is great to combine with: different types of cream cheese and vegan spreads. But this aromatic bread can also be served for grilling.
Similar recipes to our “Delicious and vegan wild garlic bread” to bake yourself:
- Rustic wild garlic pesto baguette
- another juicy wholemeal bread
- vegan spelled rolls
- Make wild garlic pesto yourself
- Bake Manakesh flatbread yourself
- Bake Iranian Naan
- more bread and roll recipes
Wild garlic bread delicious and vegan
- Wash wild garlic thoroughly and shake dry. Chop coarsely.
- Combine flour, salt, yeast and sugar in a mixing bowl or food processor.
- Add olive oil and lukewarm water to the dry ingredients and knead into an even dough for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Finally knead in the chopped wild garlic and hazelnuts.
- Cover the bowl and let it rise for about an hour.
- Grease the loaf tin and pour the batter from the bowl into the loaf tin. Leave for about half an hour more.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200°.
- I recommend putting an ovenproof bowl of water in the oven, because then the crust will be nicer.
- Bake the wild garlic bread on the middle shelf for about 40 minutes until golden brown.